Friday, July 01, 2011

Some thoughts on India...and Indians

Why do so many Indian men feel the urge / need to urinate in public? Do they realize that this act:
a. is socially deplorable
b. results in an unholy stench
c. can lead to germs and infections


Is it really a matter of not being able to hold it till they reach their destination? Can they not find one of those roadside toilets? When I argued this point online with a few of my classmates during my Exec Mgmt course, some of them said that it is because these people are not well off and that their houses may not have bathrooms. My response was that:

a. a lot of these people are very decently dressed and they are usually riding a bike or driving a car when they stop to pee.
b. there are several roadside toilets built by the government that are either free or require a small fee to use

Next, spitting. This applies to Indian men and women alike. Why do they feel the urge / need to spit in all kinds of places, including indoors in office buildings? Yes, I had been to an RTO to get my driving license and as I climbed up the stairs, I noticed dozens (or more) of paan stains on the walls and corners. And, everyday, as I drive or walk on the roads, I see phlegm-laden spit all over and it's a real task for me to hop around and avoid them. Would these same people spit inside their own house, I wonder? Would the provision of spit-buckets by the government help?

No comments: